[asterisk-users] Looking for starting point?

Michael Welter mike at telecommatters.net
Sun Feb 18 12:43:24 MST 2007

Go to your book store and get the Fedora/Linux reference.

Get yourself a PC with 20GB drives, a CD burner, and decent ram.  The PC
should have either an i386 or x86_64 processor.  If you'll be purchasing
a PC, go to the computer store, purchase the piece parts, and assemble
it yourself (I like Athlon CPUs).

Since you have a PC and were able to post a message, go to
http://fedora.redhat.com and follow the links to Documentation and then
to Download.  Follow the link for your PC's architecture (i386 or
x86_64) and then download the six ISO images.  Burn each image to a CD.

Install Linux.  Take all the defaults.  Load all packages.

When it's running, login as root and open the browser. Go to
http://asterisk.org .  Take the download tab and download the five
Asterisk 1.2 tar files into directory /usr/src.

'cd' to /usr/src.

Use 'tar xzf <file>' on each of the downloaded files.

Enter the zaptel directory and execute 'make', check for errors, and
then 'make install' and 'make config'.

Enter the libpri directory and execute 'make;make install'.

Enter the asterisk directory and execute 'make', 'make install', and
'make samples'.

Enter the asterisk-addons directory and execute 'make' and then 'make
install'

Enter the asterisk-sounds directory and execute 'make install'.

Execute 'service zaptel start'--this will load the zap drivers.  These
will also load on reboot.

Execute 'asterisk -vvvvc'.  This will start Asterisk.

N.B.  People spend years between step #1 and a running Asterisk system.

For help with asterisk, google on 'site:lists.digium.com <search
words>'.  For the wiki, google on 'site:voip-info.org <search words>'.
The wiki is most helpful.

Keep a blog of your experience and let other newbies learn from you.  :=)

Cheers,