[asterisk-users] Strange behaviour with Dial cmd

Tim Panton tim at mexuar.com
Sun Feb 18 08:24:17 MST 2007

On 15 Feb 2007, at 09:55, Yuan LIU wrote:

>> From: "Il Neofita" <asteriskmail at gmail.com>
>> Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 03:37:14 -0500
>>
>> But I tought that hangup was suppose to close the call, however,
>> is not the case and a really did not catch why.
>
> Now I see where the confusion comes from.  Asterisk doesn't really
> speak English - or Chinese for that matter:-)  In telephony, there
> is no way for the callee to tell the caller to stop ringing -
> unless you "answer" it first.  Once you answer, you can do a number
> of things, the rudest being to immediately hang up. (I saw live
> people doing this intentionally.)  Your only other option really is
> to ignore.

That isn't exactly true - ISDN and IAX (SIP?) support the concept of
rejecting a call without answering it.
The asterisk dial plan only supports this indirectly. If there is no
extension that maps to the called number
in the relevant context then asterisk will reject the call without
answering. I don't think this helps the OP's
situation, but for the sake of the archives I think its worth
clarifying....

Tim Panton

www.mexuar.net
www.westhawk.co.uk/