[asterisk-users] moving WiFi phone

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 21:15:45 MST 2007

Hi All -

> >> I have two APs (Apple AirPorts) sending on the _same_ channel.
> >> Handover works perfect with no discernible loss of connectivity or
> >> audio using a Siemens SL75. The handover cannot even be noticed.
> >>
> > as I know, best practice says, that neighboring AP should use _non
> > overlapping_ channels... :-\
> >
> I downgraded to WEP-128 (I know it's weak) and, despite the
> recommendations from any good wifi networking guide,
> I SET ALL APs ON THE SAME CHANNEL.
>
> Don't ask me why, but now roaming is PERFECT, never had a call
> dropped or even a hiss or crackling noise during conversation.

I, too, have heard about that best practice of using different
channels for different AP's on the same SSID.  As far as I can tell,
it's BS.  I don't know who started it, but it has never worked in any
of the situations I've encountered.  In fact, I know of at least one
AP manufacturer (Apple) that has a utility to auto-configure WDS
networks, and it auto-configures to use the same channel.  That's
enough encouragement for me to always use the same channel.  When I
do, everything is hunky-dory.

- Noah