[asterisk-users] iaxmodem - fax tone?

Bill Gibbs bgibbs at edurotech.com
Fri Feb 16 13:55:13 MST 2007

I am testing out hylafax and iaxmodem.  Submitting jobs to the hylafax
server and having it then dial using iaxmodem is working fine.

Hylafax server is talking to my  Asterisk box that has a Sangoma A101 in
it via iaxmodem via an IAX channel using ulaw.

A call coming into a certain test DID comes into the Sangoma A101 then
it goes to another box via IAX ulaw that uses the rxfax app to capture
the fax.  I am using rxfax right now because I am just starting to test
hylafax.

Normal faxes into my test DID work fine so I know it's not the Sangoma
or rxfax app or communication between those 2 servers.  I notice the
Sangoma detects incoming fax tones for these faxes.

However, if I send the fax via iaxmodem, I notice the Sangoma sends the
call out via my trunk group that turns off the echo cancellation
(Because I am using a group I setup to do that, there it's surprise
there) but when it comes back in, the Sangoma is not turning off echo
cancellation.  The end result is rxfax gets the tiff image, but then the
call just hangs up and the pdf is never created and sent.  The Tiff
image appears to be complete however but the call just hangs up after
that.

I think the problem is due to the Sangoma not detecting the fax tones.
Am I missing a setting with iaxmodem or hylafax?

To recap:

Test DID works fine with normal analog and other fax via ATA adapters so
I think I can safely rule out a misconfiguration there

Iaxmodem registered, hylafax clearly sends the fax via it as I see it
coming back in and the tiff created using rxfax

The problem appears to be coming back - echo cancellation not being
turned off.

Unfortunately like many of us, I don't have a test PRI server I can play
with so I have to do this after hours.  I will be turning off echo
cancellation late at night and seeing if that solves the problem but
wanted to pose this question to the list.

I have _not_ tested it to an outside analog fax yet via
hylafax/iaxmodem.

Bill