[asterisk-users] Re: Summary of "Trixbox vs. custom install"

Allen Casteran allen at nisinc.com
Fri Feb 16 09:05:12 MST 2007

As Stephen said, good summary.

 From my experience, installing from sources (with yum for updates and
additional packages) I learned much about what is in the system. Frankly
I did not find the GUIs to be "ready for primetime" when it comes to
setting up a system. Using the GUI does not teach you about dialplans,
SIP, or Zap configurations that are critical to understand if you are
going to build/run a production system.

Between google, this list,  and some trial and error you should be able
to get your first system up and running in a reasonable timeframe. The
people here are experienced and very willing to help.

Best Regards,

Allen.