[asterisk-users] The High Performance Echo Canceller (HPEC)

Nic Bellamy nicb-lists at vadacom.co.nz
Thu Feb 15 17:56:15 MST 2007

Wireless wrote:
> Thanks Nic, I have bought a couple of HPEC channel licences from Digium and
> been trying to get them working, all seems fine until I get to 9 and 10 of
> this doc ftp://ftp.digium.com/pub/telephony/hpec/README - at which point
> Asterisk is not running and I've issued a: "wanrouter start" command and all
> looks good.
>
> 9 says type
> [root at asterisk ~]# modprobe zaptel
>
> which returns nothing... when I run 10

At this point, if you run "dmesg", do you find the following in your
kernel log?

Digium High-Performance Echo Canceller, version 8.20
Optimized for "i386" CPU architecture
Coypright (C) 2006 Digium, Inc. and Adaptive Digital Technologies, Inc.
This module is supplied under a commercial license granted by Digium, Inc.
Please see the full license text supplied by the accompanying
"register" utility, or ask for a copy from Digium.

If not, you've probably not got Zaptel built with HPEC properly.
> [root at asterisk ~]# ./zaphpec_enable
> I get - No valid licenses for HPEC found.
>
> If anyone can shed I bit of light on how to register my licence I'd be very
> greatful, I've checked in /var/lib/digium/licenses and there is a licence
> there.

Hmm... not run into this myself - after registering my key, it worked
first pop for me, giving the following output:

# ./zaphpec_enable
Digium High-Performance Echo Canceller Enabler
Copyright (C) 2006, Digium, Inc.
Version 1.0.0
Use the '-l' option to see license information for software
included in this program.

Found key 'HPEC-xxxxxxxxxxxx' for 4 channels.
Found valid HPEC licenses for 4 channels.
Successfully enabled 4 channels.

After this, the follow line is spat out by the kernel:

hpec_license_check: License granted for 4 channels

Cheers,
    Nic.

--
Nic Bellamy,