[asterisk-users] Meetme - is this statement from the Wiki still true?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Thu Feb 15 15:51:33 MST 2007

	I don't know whether the Asterisk default codec is still ulaw or not,
though I believe it is.

	But it doesn't matter. Any connection in the same call between multiple
legs which each use a different codec, whether GSM or otherwise, will of
course require Asterisk to consume CPU in transcoding between the two
different encodings. Each leg gets a codec which transcodes to
Asterisk's native encoding (which I believe is ulaw), in which encoding
mixing and other signal processing is performed, before reencoding back
into the encoding each leg uses.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein