[asterisk-users] Maximum Number of Calls Asterisk Can Handle

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 09:57:54 MST 2007

> in theory, a gigabit interface can move 1048576Kbit/sec - now if i
> generously allocate 96Kbit/sec for every G.711 call, the network
> transport can handle, again in theory, 10922 simultaneous calls. would
> it be wrong to expect performance near this mark for the asterisk software?

10922 on any currently available PC architecture? Nope. It's closer to
160 kpbs per call (two legs, 80 kbps each) in either direction. With
20 ms packet size, for 10922 calls you'd be looking at 2184400
packets/sec processed by Asterisk... I don't think so.

Plus with 10922 calls and an average of 2 mins/call, you're looking at
about 90 call setups/tear downs a second.

I don't think even without running the RTP through Asterisk this box
could handle 10922 concurrent calls.

--Luki