[asterisk-users] moving WiFi phone

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Thu Feb 15 02:54:45 MST 2007

Pavel Jezek ha scritto:

> Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
>>
>> I have two APs (Apple AirPorts) sending on the _same_ channel.
>> Handover works perfect with no discernible loss of connectivity or
>> audio using a Siemens SL75. The handover cannot even be noticed.
>>
> as I know, best practice says, that neighboring AP should use _non
> overlapping_ channels... :-\

After *months* of troubles using a 14 APs network
with same SSID, WPA/TKIP security model,
tx power settings and channels carefully distributed
in order to be as non overlapping as possible,
including a controller capable of performing fast layer2 reauthentication
(e.g. something like caching WPA keys between access points),
I always got VERY POOR roaming performance. I've tested these phones:

UTStarcom F1000
UTStarcom F1000g
UTStarcom F3000g
Siemens Gigaset SL75 WLAN
Nokia E60
Nokia E70
Samsung WIP6000
Linksys WIP300

I was desperate. I took a bold step.

I downgraded to WEP-128 (I know it's weak) and, despite the
recommendations from any good wifi networking guide,
I SET ALL APs ON THE SAME CHANNEL.

Don't ask me why, but now roaming is PERFECT, never had a call
dropped or even a hiss or crackling noise during conversation.

I can even run or
move over the site hangar on forklift trucks while talking
on the phone, at 15-20 mph.

Luckily there are no high throughput demands for data transmission
(PDAs, notebooks, etc) over the wifi network, so I didn't got
performance issues.

Imho roaming support on 802.11 wifi networks is far from being usable...

Alberto Pastore
B-Press Srl - Gruppo MSoft
P.IVA 01697420030
P.le Lombardia, 4 - 28100 Novara - Italy
Tel. 0321-499508
Fax 0321-492974
http://www.msoft.it