[asterisk-users] Bandwidth shapping device

Angel Heart cocent at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 14 18:06:45 MST 2007

Hi,

What Network Switch you are using? I do traffic/bandwidth shapping on the edge switch where the port the voice installed, you can configure each port to 128Kbps or just plain Ethernet Port. So the link between bldg. will always be 10Mb/s, who ever uses it whether data or  voice and enable switch port prioritization.

HP ProCurve and Cisco switches do this features. Don't know if others can do it.

Regards

Angel

Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote: On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Damon Estep wrote:

> Why do that?
>
> Just traffic shape each user/group of IP addresses to the total
> bandwidth you want them to have and then set up a low latency queue for
> voip traffic, that way the voip bandwidth can be used for data when
> there are no calls but will give VoIP traffic priority over other
> traffic.
>
> Any old refurbished Cisco 2611 or 2621 will do the trick.
>
> Look up "low latency queuing" and "traffic shaping" on cisco.com
>
> If you are doing NAT on the router I recommend a general deployment (GD)
> 12.3 IP feature set IOS image.

I have to say, that unless you are quite good at driving Linux or *BSD's
firewall/traffic shaping mechanisms, then I'd probably go for a Cisco -
especially if this is a full-on corp-rat environment.

I would use a Linux box, but then I've been using Linux boxes for a great
number of years including setting up some hairy/scarey traffic management.

Gordon