[asterisk-users] Bandwidth shapping device

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Feb 14 07:27:31 MST 2007

Quoting Ronald Wiplinger <ronald at elmit.com>:

> I have a link to a building (e.g. 10Mb/s) and want to split up the
> bandwidth to different users. Each user should get e.g.,  512kB/s
> plus 256kB/s dedicated for VoIP.
>
> What kind of device can I use for that ?  (managing switch ??? which one?)

install openbsd on some old hardware with 2 x nics in it. use a bridge
configuration with no ips, and use the pf traffic shaping rules to split it up
however you want. you don't have to just dedicate chunks of the bandwidth, you
can setup limits, but still let them borrow from other non-full peer channels
as well. One setup like this at either end will manage the traffic in both
directions through the link.

openbsd is a little known operating system that focuses on security above all
else, and its the perfect tool for routers/firewalls/traffic shapers, etc.

you can generate the pf configurations with fwbuilder from linux or windows,
using a gui instead of hand editing the file, but I am not sure if the the
traffic shaping features are supported there or not, never tried it.

> bye
>
> Ronald Wiplinger

Jon Pounder

   _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com