[asterisk-users] The High Performance Echo Canceller (HPEC)

Nic Bellamy nicb-lists at vadacom.co.nz
Tue Feb 13 16:24:42 MST 2007

Bill Gibbs wrote:
> Will this work with SIP channels?  I get zero echo out the PRI but I do
> get it occasionally on a LD provider (SIP) we use.  The stock * install
> doesn't appear to be doing anything stopping echo on those channels.

Nope, it won't help - echo cancellation needs to be performed as close
to the source of the echo as possible. When you've got SIP in the mix,
you've got variable network delays, packet loss, jitter buffer
interpolation and various other things to think about, and this would
make an echo cancellers job orders of magnitude harder (and it's already
a pretty hard problem).

While it would be technically possible to echo-cancel SIP channels, it'd
be _extremely_ CPU intensive (you'd need massive tail coverage) and
probably not do a very good job.

If you're getting echo from a VoIP->PSTN provider, they need to do
something about it themselves - by the time it gets to you, it's too late.

Cheers,
    Nic.

--
Nic Bellamy,