[asterisk-users] Recomended POE Phones

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Tue Feb 13 11:17:45 MST 2007

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> voip crazy wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for phones witch support POE, with a good relation between
>> quality and price to work with asterisk. I just see the Thompson st2030
>> and the Linksys SPA 922 an SPA 942. Witch of this phones or another ones
>> gave you the best results in a productivity enviroment?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> VoipCrazy.
>
> Aren't the Polycom phones PoE?
>
> -Stephen-

Yes and mostly yes. The Polycom 601, 430 and 650 have built-in 802.3af
PoE capability. Meaning, you can plug the phone into a PoE switch with
about any patch cable and it will power on. The 301 and 501 require a
special cable that has a small (maybe 2"x1"x.5") box on the far end that
converts either 802.3af or cisco (depending on the cable) PoE into what
the phone uses. This special cable does have a jack on it so you can
extend the overall length of the cable if need be. It works, but is a
bit cumbersome to have to deal with.

-Dave