[asterisk-users] Re: AsterikNow vs Trixbox

Edward Halman ehalman at myhealthcharts.com
Sun Feb 11 17:43:53 MST 2007

In the beginning...

I tried both.  I found Trixbox to be a very effective out-of-the-box
solution for those venturing into the world of Asterisk IP PBX without
wanting to learn about dial plans.  I was able to install it and configure
it with my VoIP provider and SIP phones in about 2 hours.  FreePBX is a
great web interface for the novice.  If it weren't for my company's more
advanced needs (like AGI), I'd probably never have bothered to go further.

I also tried AsteriskNow, out of curiousity mostly.  I was unable to
configure it with its web interface to work with my VoIP provider.  I found
the documentation to be lacking as well.

I have (thankfully) grown out of the need for such front ends and have
(thanks in no small part to O'Reilly and this list) learned how to develop
my own dialplans and write my own configuration files to get rid of all the
unnecessary stuff that comes with Trixbox.  I have version 1.2 running on
FC5 and couldn't be happier.

So if you don't want to learn Asterisk, I believe Trixbox is the way to go.
But ultimately, learning to configure Asterisk on your own is well worth the
trouble.

Edward Halman
(718) 705-7451
ehalman at myhealthcharts.com