[asterisk-users] Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 Sharing NIC IRQ with Digium Card

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 14:04:41 MST 2007

Eric,
I understand what you are saying about APIC... and from my understanding the
O/S takes over control of the IRQs.. but aren't there still only 15 physical
IRQs that you can set in the BIOS for devices?   I've never seen a machine
in which I could go above 15 for a device in the BIOS.

I have a machine on which I have APIC turned on and cat/proc/interrupts
shows:
          CPU0
  0:  103074143    IO-APIC-edge  timer
  1:         79    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
 12:         93    IO-APIC-edge  i8042
 14:         23    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
121:     663241   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb2, eth0
137:          0   IO-APIC-level  uhci_hcd:usb3
153:          0   IO-APIC-level  ehci_hcd:usb1
161:     104218   IO-APIC-level  ips
169:  103024435   IO-APIC-level  wctdm24xxp
NMI:          0
LOC:  103059761
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

Everything looks good, yes?  wctdm24xxp is on it's own IRQ.  However, that's
not entirely true.  If you do an lspci -vb you get:

[root at mrn-svr06 ~]# lspci -bv | grep -i "IRQ 11" --before-context=2
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI
Controller #1 (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 02dd
04:04.0 Ethernet controller: Unknown device d161:2400 (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Unknown device d161:2400
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5721 Gigabit
Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
        Subsystem: IBM: Unknown device 02c6

Ooops.  There's the Ethernet controller and the Digium (Unknown device) on
the same IRQ.