[asterisk-users] Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 Sharing NIC IRQ with Digium Card

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 06:19:52 MST 2007

> I don't know why you are so fixated on PCIe. PCIe can do shared
> interrupts, non-shared interrupts, or even MSI. Just like regular PCI.
>
> 1000 interrupts a second is about the same as idle. At 1000 interrupts
> a second, the CPU gets perhaps 2 million clock cycles between each
> interrupt. Once you reach hundreds of thousands of interrupts a
> second, you can have a problem. Before that, you only have problems if
> the software is crap.

I am fixated on PCIe because, well, that's what all the new servers are
coming with.   PCI has always had the ability to do shared IRQs, you are
correct, however, that is a bad idea for any real time application,
especially VoIP.  If you have your NIC card and Digium TDM2400 sharing an
IRQ, when you get a bunch of calls going over your NIC, your Digium is going
to start suffering.   I've seen it happen, Digium says that is what will
happen, and it makes sense.  I know Digium is closed Saturday and Sunday,
but maybe on Monday someone from Digium will pickup this thread and give us
all some answers on what to do with these motherboards that the servers are
not shipping with.  It is becoming a very real problem for me with our PBX
systems.