[asterisk-users] Re: Dell PowerEdge 2950 Sharing NIC IRQ with Digium Card

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 06:17:17 MST 2007

> [root at pbx zaptel-1.2.13]# cat /proc/interrupts
>             CPU0
>    0:   82179609    IO-APIC-edge  timer
>    2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>    8:          1    IO-APIC-edge  rtc
>   14:     738454    IO-APIC-edge  ide0
>   74:   82142210   IO-APIC-level  wct2xxp
> 201:     745906   IO-APIC-level  megaraid
> 209:     137704   IO-APIC-level  eth0
> 217:     177366   IO-APIC-level  eth1
> NMI:          0
> LOC:   82178536
> ERR:          0
> MIS:          0
> __

Well, remember that IRQs don't really exist about 15.   So your wct2xxp,
megaraid, eth0, and eth1 are all sharing an IRQ (or at least some of them
are).    Since the wct2xxp is not PCIe compliant (it's only PCI) and only
runs at 33mhz (not 133mhz) it's having all kinds of issues.

@David Cook:  APIC does not work.  APIC gives you exactly what this person
is describing... you get shared IRQs running different cards.   With 15 real
IRQs, I can't understand why anyone would need to share any IRQs until
absolutely necessary.   What this says to me is that Dell (and now other
manufacturers of servers) are taking a cheap route, and rather then running
individual busses (or something along that line) they are daisy chaining
NICs, PCIs, etc together and just putting them all on the same IRQ.
Apparently PCIe is suppose to be ok with that.  Unfortunately, there is alot
of PCI equipment out there yet.... you would think they would at least offer
some sort of backwards compatibility.

Anyway.. yes the above example is EXACTLY where I've seen issues with the
Digium cards.   Assuming the Digium is sharing with the NIC (or the RAID..
it doesn't matter)... when the NIC (or the RAID) start getting alot of
activity on them, your audio is going to suffer.