[asterisk-users] asterisk and multiple cpus/cores

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Sat Feb 10 14:06:54 MST 2007

	Yes, that is perfectly clear - thanks for the data. The problem with
discussing load capacity of hosts running codecs is just how many codecs
are running at a time, how many code/decode instances each "call"
comprises, without knowing how many codecs are running per "call".

	I'm disappointed that Digium has not published exhaustive benchmarks on
capacity planning on different HW configs for different running setups.
An major unanswered question in planning Asterisk deployments,
especially scalable biz apps, is "how many hosts with what specs will I
need for X, Y, Z scales and usage combos?" This question is asked
several times in different ways on the maillists every month. And of
course the answers aren't in terms that can be collated into a
consistent planning guide. Since Asterisk is free, and minutes are
cheap, the HW, though relatively (to proprietary) cheap, is still a
major cost fraction. And of course running out of capacity by surprise
is a crippling blow.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein