[asterisk-users] Dell PowerEdge 2950 Sharing NIC IRQ with Digium Card

Matt mhoppes at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 10:55:36 MST 2007

Hi folks.. just a few weeks ago I wrote this to someone else:
------------------------
We have several 2900s in production as VoIP servers.. no lockups.
On every server I go into the BIOS and:

* Disable USB
* Disabled uneeded things like Parallel, Serial
* Put ETH0 on a seperate IRQ from the Digium card

And everything's fine.  Dell's do NOT have to share IRQs... go into your
BIOS and change them
------------------------

And this is still true.  However, we recently got a 2950 to use as a VoIP
server with a digium 4 port TDM2400 (I believe) analog card.   Well wouldn't
you know.... the Dell BIOS is showing NIC1 AND NIC2 AND Digium Card sharing
the same IRQ.  No matter what I change one of them two, the other two
follow.   I've tried moving the Digium card to the other PCI slot and the
IRQ problem still exists.      I talked to Dell technical support and they
said "oh all our new machines share IRQs like that, the way you are trying
to do it is archaic".  What?!?!   The Dell tech guy kept saying that I can
define an IRQ in Linux, and I kept telling him that I need two unique (not
virtual) IRQs.. one for the NIC and one for the Digium card.  He said "yeah
we've had other calls about Digium cards in these servers not working".
ARG!    Now I'm in a real quandry.

Does anyone have any work around solutions for this issue on a 2950 (or
other) Dell servers that now apparently are shipping with shared IRQs?!?!