[asterisk-users] Automatic Dial, Play message

David Boyd dboyd at ignitetrx.com
Fri Feb 9 06:34:55 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 16:48 -0800, Yuan LIU wrote:
> >From: Stefan Wintermeyer <stefan.wintermeyer at amooma.de>
> >Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:56:11 +0100
> >
> >Am 08.02.2007 um 18:39 schrieb Forrest Beck:
> >>Does anyone have some method, or AGI scripts that will automatically
> >>call a list of numbers from a database and play a pre-recorded message?
> >>
> >>Just for example, you have a database of
> >>
> >>FirstName, LastName, PhoneNumber
> >>Jon, Beck, 9194713175
> >>
> >>So it would pull each record with phone number, dial the number, when
> >>answered play a pre-recorded message.
> >
> >Have a look at an e-mail which I send yesterday to this list. It  contains
> >a simple example for a call file. That is the way you want  to go. With
> >that you can create a script which solves your problem.
> >
> >   Stefan
>
> I looked this and
> http://voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+auto-dial+out+deliver+message, both
> using call files.  Can the same commands be used from inside extensions.conf
> to do same?
>
> Yuan Liu

The issue is not can you execute the same commands from within
extensions.conf, but how are you going to trigger the action without
external input.

We process calls using the following methodology:

1.Cron starts a job at preset times

2.script log into postgresql and determines if any call are to be made
at this time

3.Script then determines how many calls can be made based on codecs,
time of day, and service provider to be used

4.Script generates call file/s into temporary directory based on above
criteria and moves them to /var/spool/asterisk/outgoing

5.Asterisk places calls, and using cdr_pgsql writes cdr to database

6.upon insert a trigger fires to update list of called numbers and
indicate success or failure

7.goto 1

Simple process, extensions.conf is used for all call flow, and no
external processes used for updates to database. We used AGi in past and
found that this process was actually easier to maintain as the only
"code" written was a simple php script for db access and call file
generation.

Don't know if this helps with ideas but if you are interested in
additional details contact me off list.