[asterisk-users] Re: Asterisk Faxing Support

Craig Guy cguy at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 8 07:21:55 MST 2007

It's not that Digium don't want fax or t.38 support, it's just that it is
not very likely for Steve Underwood to provide it for Asterisk.  I'm sure
that Digium are very keen for someone to write and contribute t.38 code for
Asterisk, it's just that there aren't very many people with the required
knowledge and willingness to contribute in that area.

The reasons are sorta complex, but as I understand it there are two issues.
Spandsp will not be included in Asterisk as Steve will not disclaim the it
to Digium, preferring to keep his code under GPL.  Likewise, Digium won't
accept code that isn't disclaimed - Spandsp could never be included in ABE
for example without a disclaimer and it wouldn't make business sense for
Digium to have code in the free distribution that can't be in their
commercial distribution.

The second issue is that it is often very difficult to have code accepted
into trunk.  An example of this is the t.38 related code that Steve was
working on for Asterisk in late 2005.  Whilst not directly spandsp, these
were backend changes inside asterisk that were required in order to
interface t.38 into asterisk.  Eventually he gave up and is now focussing
his efforts on openpbx which is pure gpl and is easier to get code into
trunk, so sort of a path of least resistance - why try to get code into
asterisk when it is easier to get it into the fork.

Fow now, it is easiest to use hylafax / spandsp with asterisk.  The majority
of the hard work has been done and Lee Howard is very responsive to user
queries.

Anyhow, thats my understanding and I could be way off the mark.

Craig