[asterisk-users] Softphone on Linux

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Thu Feb 8 05:33:47 MST 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 09:41:30AM +0000, Tim Panton wrote:

> On 5 Feb 2007, at 21:46, chester c young wrote:
>
> >Need to deploy between 50 to 300 lightweight Linux - only browser
> >and softphone.
>
> You might want to consider our lightweight java softphone (Corraleta
> SDK) - it can be embedded in
> a web page - zero install/config in the client. The UI is in HTML and
> javascript,
> so you can get it _exactly_ the way you want it.

I have a feeling that anything that is written using a Java Plugin will
be hevier than a decent Linux desktop program.

"Zero install" would mean "Java" which is still not exactly "zero
install" in most Linux distributions. It also means that this is not a
native applications, and thus has unneeded limitations: you configura
the browser and the softphone in two different places.

(For example: kiax has its own addressboox, but twinkle uses KDE's
standard addressbook, which is probably accessible in some other ways).

As for setting it exactly the way you want it: here consider a simple
window manager and a very liberal use adaptations per window properties.

Test if a browser such as dillo or elinks is good enough. If it is: it
will save you a whole bunch of memory. And your users will have less to
tinker. Consider giving that window a fixed size and location.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com