[asterisk-users] Best phone for easy provisioning

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Feb 8 03:31:35 MST 2007

Paul Hales wrote:
> I know Brett and Jurgen have been pretty happy with the Snom's - Brett
> even wrote an auto-provision utility for the Snom's at one time.

Yes, look at the latest Trixbox for the basic SNOM templates and then
off you go.

You setup a tftp server (easy), the phone looks for two files, one
generic snom file and another with it's MAC address in the name.  So you
have generic stuff in one file and specific phone stuff in the other.
You can get the initial phone config done using DHCP, or just log into
each phone and change the URL to point to your tftp server.

Get the phone roughly setup manually and then simply look at the web
config utility, it has an option to dump it's entire config out and so
you just cut and paste the entries you want to override into the tftp
files.  Piece of cake.

You can easily reboot all the phones by sending them a certain SIP
message, and so it's very easy to redeploy a new config, or reboot all
the phones when you reboot the server.  The phones themselves re-read
the config every X minutes so they pickup new config quickly even
without a reboot.

I have a bunch of 360s which I negotiated for about the same price as
the 320s.  Drop me a line if you want the name of a UK firm to buy them
from.  They work nicely out of the box including the flashy lights
showing busy extensions.  The only thing which doesn't work without a
patch (it appears) is line pickup by pushing the BLF keys.  I can live
without that, but it would be nice to have.

Happy to post my configs if anyone wants to write up the notes on the wiki?

Ed