[asterisk-users] Re: Diagnosing poor call quality

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Feb 8 03:29:50 MST 2007

CB> I have run a few speed tests from the sites in question (iperf to
CB> the machine in the datacentre) and I'm consistently getting around
CB> 380k upstream and 5.5mbit downstream, even during peak hours. Some
CB> distance away from the quoted speeds, but still plenty enough to
CB> support 4 SIP devices using g729 (which should be about 30kbit/sec
CB> per device including packet overheads).

If you're using iperf, try something like -u -l 50 -b 200k

I think you'll be suprised how poorly DSL performs on small packets.
You will likely not be much worse off with ulaw or Alaw. But anyway,
it should still be fast enough for 4 simultaneous calls.

The bigger issue is probably the traffic classification. You say you
prioritise on by phone IP, but also use NAT. How does that work?

/Benny