[asterisk-users] Linux Kernel Timer Frequency and Asterisk

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Thu Feb 8 02:10:50 MST 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Mark Coccimiglio wrote:

> Ok here is a real geek question,
>
> I building my own linux kernel for my asterisk system and came across the
> kernel setting for the timer frequency.  I have one of 3 hardcode choices
> 100Hz, 250 Hz and 1000Hz.  From what I understand the default Freq was
> changed from 100Hz in kernel 2.4 to 1000Hz (1KHz) in kernel 2.6.  Timing is a
> BIG issue in asterisk with all the TDM and zap channel stuff.  My guess is to
> go with the lower 100 or 250 Hz option but that is only a guess.  The 1KHz
> sounds like it will conflict with the Zap 1khz timer (or am I wrong about
> that).  Does anyone know what the prefered settings are for Trixbox or
> AsteriskNOW (or the asterisk code forks e.g. OpenPBX)?  Please let me know
> what your experience has been.

I always compile custom kernels and have been using 1KHz in all my systems
which are for anything vaguely interactive.

Most of my asterisk systems are 1GHz processors but I have a small handful
which are 533MHz and all are working just fine.

You're not using a recently kernel then ;-) 2.6.20 offers 300Hz too
(supposedly good for video applications)

Gordon