[asterisk-users] Large number of prefixes in a route to a trunk

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Wed Feb 7 22:25:56 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 22:21 -0500, Lee Jenkins wrote:
> Eric Germann wrote:
> > We're beginning to test MultiTech's CallFinder CDMA Units, one for Sprint
> > PCS and one for Alltel.  They sell both.  Our intent is to use them as a
> > backup line for our main office (which has a PRI) and a backup/911 line for
> > our remote offices which are all connected via * over a VPN with no local
> > trunks at any of them.
> >
> > In the interest of maximizing use of the lines, I'm putting together a dial
> > plan that includes PCS-to-PCS/Nextel calling for the Sprint trunk.
> > Essentially, the PBX would look like a cell phone to the PCS cloud.  Total
> > merged NPA-NXX list for SPCS I come up with is around 7,600 prefixes.  Since
> > our parent has offices strung out all over the US  and is standardizing on
> > SPCS, it makes sense to try and leverage as many PCS-to-PCS calls as we can.
> > Alltel comes in at around 1940 prefixes.
> >
> > Has anyone found a soft limit for what * can handle in an outbound route
> > associated with a trunk?  The box that does the routing is a new quad core
> > with 2GB of RAM.  Any recommendations for whether to use the straight
> > extensions_XXXXX.conf or write a custom dialplan with a db hook in it?  I'm
> > sort of in favor of the *.conf files since they remove an external
> > dependency from the dialplan, if the speed is reasonable, but a prefix list
> > like this is new territory for me.
> >
> > If anyone is interested, drop me an email and I will be happy to share the
> > NPA-NXX extracts for Alltel Wireless, Sprint PCS and Nextel in CSV format.
> >
> > Thanks in advance and I will be happy to share with anyone or the list if
> > there is interest in our experience with the devices (they're relatively
> > new)
> >

> I'd be curious in how asterisk would handle that.  That seems like an
> awful lot for asterisk to sift through although I'm sure there is some
> hashing going on inside somewhere.  With a db, you get to use an index,
> but then have to be concerned about the time it takes to establish a
> connection, extra resources used, etc.
>
> Maybe the built in AstDB would be an option to look at as well?

personally, I'd think a few thousand entries in the AstDB would be no
big deal;
it's based on DB1, and should handle this kind of thing with no
problems!!

I'd think it's worth investigating, at any rate! You'll have to look at
factors like query rate, db size, whether or not multiple clients are
necessary, etc. etc.

murf