[asterisk-users] Disconnection supervision: what about PBX

Trevor G. Hammonds trevor at concipient.net
Wed Feb 7 05:49:08 MST 2007

Yuan,
Well engineered analogue PBXs typically do not use standard loop start
subscriber lines.  When digital trunks are not an option, they use analogue
PBX and/or DID trunks.  At the very least, ground start circuits are
preferred to avoid "glare".  The best call quality for analogue is achieved
by using four-wire E&M trunks that provide answer and disconnect
supervision.  There are two-wire trunks (which are probably more common), as
well as different signalling methods.  These trunks require special
interface hardware, and I am unaware of any that work with Asterisk.  As the
cards are typically very expensive, it is usually better to go with digital
if you require that functionality.  It would be nice to see a BRI interface
for Asterisk that works in North America, as BRI circuits are often
comparable in price to analogue lines.

		Sincerely,
		Trevor Hammonds