[asterisk-users] Which Java FastAGI implementation has the most "market share"?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Tue Feb 6 06:37:54 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 23:05 -0500, Steve Prior wrote:

> Matthew Rubenstein wrote:
> >
> > 	The real advantage in choosing an AGI (or CGI or ...) platform/language
> > is *reusing* the existing code that already runs on that platform, with
>
> Well of course you should pick whatever AGI implementation matches the
> rest of your environment best.
>
> > minimal porting to the platform in that language. How much does a Java
> > application, net/bean, or modern (1.4-6.x) class have to be revised to
> > make it work with asterisk-java as FastAGI instead of, say, AGI, CGI,
> > commandline, browser JVM, or other execution environment/UI?
>
> I'm not totally sure you're asking the right question here.
> Asterisk-java in combination with Asterisk and in my case Lumenvox is
> just a user interface for whatever application I am developing.  In my
> case it's not even the only user interface I've created for my system
> (which happens to be in Home Automation which uses CORBA to connect the
> pieces together) - I've also got a web interface as well as other
> standalone front ends and even the light switches can be considered part
> of the UI (and therefore non reusable).  Asterisk-java provides you with
> an ordinary JRE environment where you might not be in direct control of
> main() (though you can be if you really want to), but that's similar to
> the other server environments you mentioned (browser JVM is a different
> animal).
>
> So the real question isn't so much how a class needs to be revised for
> asterisk-java, it is does your back end system provide a robust API such
> that you can be dropped naked in the middle of a JRE woods and without
> anything more than some additions to the CLASSPATH be able to interact
> with your back end system.

	So you're saying that if you're using Sun's JRE 1.6.0 in Tomcat full of
existing classes connected into apps, that pointing Asterisk's FastAGI
at it just requires asterisk-java on the Asterisk server and adding a
very simple FastAGI wrapper class to the Tomcat server to interface
Asterisk's runtime state to the existing apps. And that a FastAGI
wrapper class will also work on just Apache running a java commandline
CGI, etc.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein