[asterisk-users] Which Java FastAGI implementation has the most "market share"?

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Mon Feb 5 06:00:42 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 04:46 -0700,
asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:

> Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:35:46 -0500
> From: Steve Prior <sprior at geekster.com>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Which Java FastAGI implementation has
>         the most        "market share"?
>         <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>
> Kate Kretz wrote:
> > Steve, keep me in touch please ?
> > We are also looking for moving all our activities to java platform.
> >
> > Let me know if You'll find/test something like asterisk2billing
> written
> > in java ?
>
> I haven't received any feedback at all on the relative use of the java
> options, but I'm pretty happy with the way a little project turned
> out
> in asterisk-java.
>
> My project was to see how well asterisk-java would work in
> combination
> with Lumenvox to create a speech enabled AGI, so just for kicks I've
> ported their Pizza ordering demo to Java using it.  In the process
> I've
> been working with Lumenvox to fix the couple of problems which turned
> up
> as a result of this experiment, and use an asterisk-java code change
> which is available in their latest svn.
>
> Sometime soon my code will be made available most likely through the
> Lumenvox site so others can use it as a starting point.
>
> Overall I'll say that I really like using Java to control such a dial
> plan.  In this particular case the output is a simple pizza order
> which
> I've modeled as a plain old Java object (POJO), so once the dial plan
> has built up the object it can simply be passed to whatever back end
> (possibly J2EE) code which processes the transaction without regard
> for
> the user interface that created it.  Sounds very maintainable to me.
> did the development/test right in the Eclipse IDE and could use the
> debugger when necessary - I've got to believe that's better than
> trying
> to trace through a regular dial plan.
>
> I also really like the fact that aside from sound files and just a
> couple of lines of dial plan code to call the Java, all the actual
> Java
> code is running in a different server box so I'm keeping the load
> down
> on my Asterisk box and have flexibility in where I deploy things.

	The real advantage in choosing an AGI (or CGI or ...) platform/language
is *reusing* the existing code that already runs on that platform, with
minimal porting to the platform in that language. How much does a Java
application, net/bean, or modern (1.4-6.x) class have to be revised to
make it work with asterisk-java as FastAGI instead of, say, AGI, CGI,
commandline, browser JVM, or other execution environment/UI?

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein