[asterisk-users] Which Java FastAGI implementation has the most "market share"?

Steve Prior sprior at geekster.com
Sun Feb 4 21:35:46 MST 2007

Kate Kretz wrote:
> Steve, keep me in touch please ?
> We are also looking for moving all our activities to java platform.
>
> Let me know if You'll find/test something like asterisk2billing written
> in java ?

I haven't received any feedback at all on the relative use of the java
options, but I'm pretty happy with the way a little project turned out
in asterisk-java.

My project was to see how well asterisk-java would work in combination
with Lumenvox to create a speech enabled AGI, so just for kicks I've
ported their Pizza ordering demo to Java using it.  In the process I've
been working with Lumenvox to fix the couple of problems which turned up
as a result of this experiment, and use an asterisk-java code change
which is available in their latest svn.

Sometime soon my code will be made available most likely through the
Lumenvox site so others can use it as a starting point.

Overall I'll say that I really like using Java to control such a dial
plan.  In this particular case the output is a simple pizza order which
I've modeled as a plain old Java object (POJO), so once the dial plan
has built up the object it can simply be passed to whatever back end
(possibly J2EE) code which processes the transaction without regard for
the user interface that created it.  Sounds very maintainable to me.  I
did the development/test right in the Eclipse IDE and could use the
debugger when necessary - I've got to believe that's better than trying
to trace through a regular dial plan.

I also really like the fact that aside from sound files and just a
couple of lines of dial plan code to call the Java, all the actual Java
code is running in a different server box so I'm keeping the load down
on my Asterisk box and have flexibility in where I deploy things.

Steve