[asterisk-users] Re: Dell Servers

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Fri Feb 2 07:33:10 MST 2007

ER> Hi, I was planning on getting a Dell PowerEdge 2950 for our new
ER> Asterisk configuration. But while searching for documentation
ER> about it and/or reported issues, I found this:

ER> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+hardware WARNING -
ER> many Dell motherboards use the e1000 gigabit ethernet chipset,
ER> which has been known to cause random locksup - if you plan on
ER> using a Dell server, disable the onboard controller and purchase
ER> an addon ethernet card.

The e1000 ethernet chipset is basically the best you can get for Linux
today.

The lockup problem is more likely because Digium cards (and others)
have issues with IRQ sharing. Maybe one day the telephony card vendors
will wake up and realise that PCI IRQ sharing is perfectly well
defined since PCI 1.0 and that the only problems with it are due to
bugs in their drivers or their cards.

/Benny