[asterisk-users] strange caller display

Earle Clubb eclubb at valcom.com
Thu Feb 1 07:44:42 MST 2007

Rilawich Ango wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I am using asterisk1.2.14,realtime and I find there is a strange
> case in the receiver's display.  I have a  dial plan to route a call
> to the destination.  I haven't set the callerid(num) for the caller.
> In the receive ends, it's display shows "asterisk" when I make a call
> to the receiver.  I wonder why "asterisk" shows in the display as I
> haven't set any word - asterisk in any configuration file.   How to
> remove that word from the receive end if it is a default word?
>
>  Below is the log dump from ngrep.  There is no "asterisk" in the
> from header except the option message.  I wonder why "asterisk" will
> be shown in the receiver end's screen.
>
> ango
callerid on SIP channels defaults to "asterisk".  The only way to
override it is to set it in your sip.conf.  Though I think that if you
get callerid from the calling device, that would override the default as
well.  I think the order of precedence is (highest to lowest):

sip.conf callerid for calling device
calling device's transmitted callerid
default - "asterisk"

Earle