[asterisk-users] Digium Asterisk Appliance voicemail & logs

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Dec 31 14:16:57 CST 2007

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> And how long will that flash card last with the log and vmail churn?
> Flash devices have a limited number of writes you can do to a single
> cell before it "wears out" and cannot be written to any more.

All modern flash cards (not flash chips, which are lower level) have
built-in wear leveling. There is still an upper limit to what the card
can handle, but keeping in mind the target market for this device (a
small office with less than 50 users) it's not likely that the voicemail
volume is going to be so extreme as to wear out the CF card. We do not
ship the AA50 with Asterisk logs enabled to the CF card as far as I
know, primarily for this reason.

> So does one have to throw out the whole appliance when one wears out the
> flash card?

No. The files to repopulate the CF card are available to users who have
active support subscriptions and they can replace the card. Users can
also, of course, make a backup copy of the card on a new card when they
receive the unit and have a ready-to-install replacement should any
problems occur.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies