[asterisk-users] 7970 CTLFile.tlv?

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Sat Dec 29 07:37:26 CST 2007

Cisco firmware (both sip and sccp) got me several headaches.
When the phone finds something it doesn't like in the xml profile,
(even a stupid thing such as a string too long), 99% of the times
will abort the configuration download process and reboot in the
worst case, or keep the previous one (if any).

XmlDefault.cnf.xml gets loaded ONLY if the phone cannot find
the relevan SEP<MAC>.cnf.xml.

I think that renaming the SEP file to XmlDefault doesn't solve the problem.

You should have a confirmation by checking out the Status/Messages
menu on the phone
(Settings button, then 4, 1)
You have to find what's wrong inside your xml file.
Don't worry about tlv files, they're optional and required only
if you need to upload certificate trust lists.

My suggestion is to cut down the SEP file to its simplest form
(e.g. containing only tags with ssh username and password,
and firmware version) in order to let you log on to the phone
(even if it's not registered)
via ssh and use the debug/debug, log/log, or user/default
post-ssh logins; that should (maybe) let you get a hint from the
phone's internal log.

Just for example I noticed that on my 8.3.0 sip firmware,
although specs tell that phone label is 12 chars long, if I
enter more than 11 characters in the xml tag, the phone won't
load the configuration (of course no mention for that fact anywhere).

Alberto.