[asterisk-users] Performance Issues Degradation After 6 Calls

Steve Totaro stotaro at first-notification.com
Fri Dec 28 12:39:52 CST 2007

broadband Voice wrote:

> On 12/27/07, *broadband Voice* <broadbandvoice at gmail.com
> <mailto:broadbandvoice at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I am using Asterisk and A2billing Calling Card Platform and after
>     the 6th call the quality starts to degrade. The way it set up is
>     the user calls into the system then dial out so I have 12 channels
>     being used up but 6 active calls. Here are my specs Asterisk
>     SVN-branch-1.4-r79142 on a i686 running Linux Fedora 6, Pentium 4
>     Hyper-Threading, 64 bit, 1GB of RAM, 80 GB Sata Drive, bandwidth 4
>     Mbps (1300GB/Throughput) burstable to 100Mbps.
>
>     I am planning on upgrading to Intel Core 2 Duo with a clock speed
>     of 1.8GHZ and 2GB Ram. Does anyone have similar situation or
>     advice? Thanks.

Your system should be able to handle that volume easily.

What are you using for PSTN connectivity?

I have heard of people having issues with Hyperthreading.  That could be
a problem, although I have never had any issues myself.

What does top look like?

When I had a similar issue (voice quality while running monitor on over
seventy calls) I found a small Linux CLI app, I cannot remember the name
of it but it would give IO stats (I think it may be named IOStat or
something similar) and I could see right where the bottleneck was
(obviously disc IO but I was able to see exactly where the breaking
point was).  That may help identify something.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro