[asterisk-users] Unified Messaging On Thin Client / Terminal Server

Mojo with Horan & Company, LLC mojo at horanappraisals.com
Wed Dec 26 13:02:11 CST 2007

Matthew Yingling wrote:

>> Why would the thin client be unable to provide a good experience doing
>> that?  If it was going to provide poor sound quality due to network
>> latency for example, wouldn't it stand to reason that the display would
>> be garbled or slow to respond as well? Just a thought.  And would using
>> the VOIP phone lighten the need for network resources?
>>

> There is the possibility that audio will not be available via thin client,
> such as with Windows 2000 Terminal Server.  Optional audio support was added
> to WinXP/2003.

haha sorry, of course!  for some reason I wasn't thinking Windows....
:)  The only thin client OSen I had played with had audio capabilities,
so didn't realize the potential lack of certain OSes...

so dynamically add an extension to the dialplan that Background()s the
VM message after adding necessary SIP headers for auto-answer, originate
a call to that extension from the desk phone, then remove that extension
from the dialplan...

$vm_box=112;
$context=default;
$exten = rand()%2048 + 990000;
$message="msg0004";
$deskphone="SIP/112";

system("asterisk -rx 'dialplan add extension
$exten,1,SIPAddHeader(Alert-Info: Ring-Answer)'") ; set per your deskphone
system("asterisk -rx 'dialplan add extension
$exten,2,Background,/var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/$context/$vm_box/'$message")
system("asterisk -rx 'originate $deskphone extension $exten@$context'");
system("asterisk -rx 'dialplan remote extension $exten@$context'");

If you expect that to work, don't, you're too optimistic.  But you might
be able to MAKE it work, or derive success from its suggestion ;)

Mojo
;