[asterisk-users] Call center scenario

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Sun Dec 23 18:29:36 CST 2007

Jay Moore wrote:
> Greetings, List.
>
> I would like to implement a procedure in my call center but am not sure
> the best way to implement it.  I'm hoping I can describe it here and
> that I'll receive some feedback and/or suggestions on how to proceed.
>
> Here's my situation:
>
> My call center fields calls regarding internet access issues for local
> apartment complexes and businesses.  Most of the time, we get a few
> calls here and there from new tenants unsure how to set up their
> connection.  Every so often, however, there will be some sort of issue
> (ISP going down, router crashing, etc...) that will leave all users
> without internet access.  When this happens, we get a flood of calls and
> the girls in my call center can quickly become overwhelmed.
>
> What I'd like to do is set up a system whereby incoming calls during a
> known outage are instead redirected to a recording explaining the issue
> and the option to have the caller leave a message (a la voicemail).  All
> calls come down our T1 and we are able to identify the incoming account
> based on its DID.  We would need to do this on a per-account basis.  My
> girls would also need to have the ability to toggle on/off the
> redirection as well as record a message for the caller to hear -- at a
> moment's notice.
>
> Since my girls only field the calls and don't do any actual support (I
> do that), it'd be ideal if my VM indicator would also let me know if any
> callers left messages during a known outage.  Again, this would be
> ideal, but most certainly not necessary.
>
> So, what say you list?  Any suggestions on the most efficient way to do
> this?  I am quite familiar with PHP and not adverse to writing a script
> to do this for me (I suspect I will have to anyway), but don't wish to
> reinvent the wheel if something like this already exists.

I'd do the same thing we do with customer systems with regard to closing
time.

We give them an extension to turn on forwarding and one to turn off
forwarding.

I.E. 161-179 for various forward locations and 160 for normal operation.

If someone dials 161-179 it sets a value in the Asterisk DB (see
function DB) and if they dial 160 it sets the value to 9.

We then check the value of the DB entry, and if it is 9 we jump to the
standard context.  If it is not 9 we continue in the dialplan and send
the call to the value in the field.

You could use the value in the db for an extension to dial.

I.E.

[extensions]
; Turn off forwarding
exten => 160,1,Set(DB(forward/number)=9)
exten => 160,2,Background(call-forward)
exten => 160,3,Background(disabled)
exten => 160,4,Goto(2)
; Forward to Bob Jacks mobile
exten => 162,1,Set(DB(forward/number)=027xxxxxxx)
exten => 162,2,Background(call-forward)
exten => 162,3,Background(on)
exten => 162,4,Goto(2)
; Forward to Louise
exten => 166,1,Set(DB(forward/number)=021xxxxxxx)
exten => 166,2,Background(call-forward)
exten => 166,3,Background(on)
exten => 166,4,Goto(2)
; Forward to Adrian
exten => 167,1,Set(DB(forward/number)=021xxxxxxx)
exten => 167,2,Background(call-forward)
exten => 167,3,Background(on)
exten => 167,4,Goto(2)

[checkforward]
; If the forward number is 9 then dont forward
exten => s,n,GotoIf($["${DB(forward/number)}" = "9"]?678|1:677|1)

; Number was not 9 - lets forward
exten => 677,1,NoOp(Night Time Mode - forward to ${DB(forward/number)})
exten => 677,n,Goto(dialout,${DB(forward/number)},1)

; Number was 9 - accept the call
exten => 678,1,NoOp(Day Time Mode)
exten => 678,n,Goto(daytime,s,1)

- --