[asterisk-users] PXE-bootable diskless Asterix distro?

Ulexus ulexus at lifelabs.net
Sun Dec 23 09:10:33 CST 2007

On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 04:41:42PM +0200, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> Run entirely from RAM? So if your image is 40MB, you waste 40MB of RAM
> just to store it? This is where (A) becomes suddenly a lot nicer.
> Especially if you can use union-mouting and thus to have to use such a
> specific system.

40MB is a paltry amount of RAM for any even reasonably modern machine.

Compare, too, the respective access times between flash and RAM, not to
mention the write session limits of flash (though again, to consider
this is to make another mountain out of a mole hill).

The only significant downside of using a net-boot setup (e.g. PXE) for
something like this is that you are then reliant on another machine for
the operation of that one.  Considering that you'd probably be relying
on it (and the switch) for normal operations anyway, I would not bother
worrying about it.

--
Ulexus
ulexus at lifelabs.net