[asterisk-users] Summary: Upgrading to Asterisk 1.4

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Sat Dec 22 10:40:27 CST 2007

Hi!

> Now over to a summary of the feedback. I'm not going deeper into bugs
> reported, those will be handled separately.

Looks like I am a bit late, but I'll try to add my share as well to
highlight some of the issues that are invovled with 1.2 to 1.4
transition:

- with the advent of the "g726aal2 troubles" my preferred codec was
rendered unusable, and it still is that way because this setup is too
flakey, you never know if and when garbled audio will hit you. This still
does not work cleanly between 1.2 and 1.4 Asterisk boxes, with me
thinking that somehow on IAX this is more troublesome than on SIP. Only
alaw/ulaw (too hungry) and gsm (too sparse) are left since ilbc has the
potential to crash asterisk once a while (not always, not on every box).

- likewise SIP INFO DTMF worked reasonable well in Asterisk 1.2, whereas
my experience is that in 1.4 one should better move (back) over to
RFC2833, and when doing so don't forget about the rfc2833compensate
setting.

- all the transitions of the type "application --> function" can be
painful and error prone, especially for what concerns the replacements
for DBPut and DBGet and all the levels of () and [] and {} that are now
invovled.

- the GROUP_COUNT and call-limit (SIP) features saw a *lot* of changes on
their path from 1.0 to 1.2 to 1.4, and I hear that for 1.6 call-limit
will be touched and changed yet again. So practically every new point
release does this in an entirely different fashion.

By the way, the README file in asterisk-1.4 is outdated and refer to
upgrade instructions from 1.0 to 1.2.

Having said all of the above: Asterisk is coool and grrrrreat, and
everyone involved even more so - Olle included ;-) - thank you for all
the effort!

Cheers & happy days,
Philipp von Klitzing