[asterisk-users] Summary: Upgrading to Asterisk 1.4

Johansson Olle E oej at edvina.net
Sat Dec 22 04:02:17 CST 2007

22 dec 2007 kl. 10.55 skrev Andrew Joakimsen:

> We've started testing Asterisk 1.4.... 1.2 has been very stable and we
> have processed millions of minutes with it, SIP-to-ZAP, SIP-to-SIP and
> SIP-to-IAX. We've been using Asterisk over 4 years now and it has
> really re-invented the way me and a few others think of telephones.
> The only inter-op issues I've ever seen are with JerkJerk's NuFone
> network when they were insisting on using CVS-HEAD. How things have
> changed. Right now one of our main gateways runs 1.0 something its
> internal only passes calls from IAX to ZAP and it just works -- why
> change it?
Right!

> I have not dug  into any 1.4 features yet except for T38 passthrough
> and it seems to work ok. I need to submit a bugreport for some issues
> next time I come across them.

yes, please.

> {emphasis added}What are the plans for Asterisk 1.6 in regards to
> furthering T.38 support?{/emphasis added}

There's a lot of work going on. The initial code base we got wasn't
well architectured in the signalling parts (chan_sip) and Josh Colp
is working on a rewrite. In the bug tracker, we have code additions
for asterisk-addons (due to licensing of spandsp libraries) to
create fax and t.38 send/receive applications, making Asterisk a
full T.38 endpoint and gateway. It is really exciting news, but will
take time to get there.

Merry Christmas!

/Olle