[asterisk-users] How to change sendmail return path

Steve Thomas lists at sthomas.net
Fri Dec 21 15:52:01 CST 2007

shadowym wrote:
> What creates the "asterisk" mailbox?  Does that happen when I "make
> asterisk"?

The return-path is set to user at host. Your asterisk process is running as
the user 'asterisk', no? If so, that's why you're getting the return
path set to 'asterisk'.

I haven't used sendmail in about a decade, but (brain's digging deep
into old memories now) I think you need to call sendmail with the -f option.

Just checked the man page (man sendmail - you *did* look here, didn't
you? ;) and came up with:

-fname
Sets  the name of the ''from'' person (i.e., the envelope sender of the
mail).  This address may also be used in the From: header if that header
is missing  during  initial  submission.   The  envelope  sender address
is used as the recipient for delivery status notifications and may also
appear in a Return-Path: header.  -f should only be used by ''trusted''
users (normally root, daemon, and network) or if the person  you are
trying to become is the same as the person you are.  Otherwise, an
X-Authentication-Warning header will be added to the message.

So there you have it. You not only need to add the asterisk user to the
trusted users list, but you also need to make sure that whenever
sendmail is being invoked, it's called with the -f option. I don't know
if asterisk does this or not - perhaps others could confirm whether it
does or doesn't, and where/if this can be changed.

HTH,
Steve