[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Dovid B asteriskusers at dovid.net
Wed Dec 19 18:28:47 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Edwards" <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>
<asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 5:43 AM
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Johansson Olle E wrote:
>
>> I wonder if there are any major obstacles for upgrading.
>
> How about the change from a bad command line interface to a really bad
> command line interface?
>
> I mean, Seriously? (in a Grey's Anatomy kind of way...)
>
> The old syntax was inconsistent -- "show manager command" vs "sip show
> channels" and just plain bad -- for example "sip reload" should have been
> "reload sip."
>
> The new syntax continues down the noun-verb path instead of correcting
> itself and using verb-noun like most other applications (MySQL, GDB,
> Oracle, etc.)
>
> Then, just to make it worse, now I have to learn which commands somebody
> (arbitrarily) decided are "core" and which are not -- for what benefit?
> Certainly doesn't make MY job easier!
>
> Approach the command line like a noob. I want Asterisk to show me
> something so I'll start the command line with "show." I'm not quite sure
> what I'm doing, so I'll press <TAB> to see what I can show. Oh, "channel"
> looks like what I want. Hmm, too much. Maybe I should have qualified what
> kind of channel I'm looking for BEFORE the word "channel."
>
> Here's a suggestion -- stop thinking like a parser and start thinking like
> a person :)
>
> Which makes more sense (at least in English)?
>
>  1) show black dogs -- show sip channels
>  2) black show dogs -- sip show channels
>  3) dogs black show -- channels sip show
>  4) show dogs black -- show channels sip
>  5) black dogs show -- sip channels show
>  6) dogs show black -- channels show sip
>
> Is it too late to fix this for 1.6?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I think as many people have pointed out they are used to a lot of commands
out there so changing it yet again would make more people unhappy. But maybe
asterisk can have both. Why not sip show channels for the old timers and
show channels sip or show sip channels for the n00b's. Why shouldn't
asterisk have both options ?