[asterisk-users] noun-verb vs verb-noun aka dogs black vs black dogs

John Millican jmillican at sentinelcommunications.com
Wed Dec 19 17:46:00 CST 2007

On Wednesday December 19 2007 6:09 pm, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 02:47:39PM -0800, Steve Edwards wrote:
> > This only "works" because you are closed to the alternative. The
> > alternative (verb-noun) works fine for the above referenced applications
> > and many more. Do you want to "tally" the number of users of applications
> > that use noun-verb instead of verb-noun? Is there a reason verb-noun
> > works fine for them and not for us?
>
> OK, here's a small usability test to your idea:
>
> Here's a partial list of actions from asterisk 1.4.
> Which of them is supported by your hypothetical MGCP device?
> (no cheating, please)
>
> active
> add
> answer
> audit
> autoanswer
> boost
> clear
> convert
> del
> deltree
> dial
> dumphtml
> flash
> get
> hangup
> logoff
> mute
> put
> reload
> remove
> save
> send
> set
> show
> showkey
> transfer
> unmute

Okay I have to put my 2 cents in now can't resist any longer even though it
may only be worth 0.5 cents.
In MY opinion, consistency is first and formost.  I can learn almost any
command struture IF i put my mind to it and I want to do so.  What is hard
for me is changing in mid stream. having said that I always liked a drill down
structure.  Big idea first, followed by category of idea, followed by.. and
so on till you get the the exact single item that you are looking for.  A US
based example:
show world north_america us state nh capitol
Gives:
Concord
You could easily do :
show world
giving all the continents
show world north_america
giving all countries in North America
and so on down the line.
To ME and maybe only me, this make since, object world knows of continents,
object continents knows of countries, object countries knows of state, object
state knows of capitols.
Easy for programmers, users and computers alike.
again just my opinion.
JohnM