[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Codecs: g729 and g723

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Dec 19 08:49:41 CST 2007

On Wednesday 19 December 2007 08:01:16 bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Does new asterisk version still requires g729 to be
> bought or it required for some features and not for
> others?

If you need to record audio, playback audio, or do anything which necessitates
translating g729 to another codec (such as calling a channel using ulaw), you
need to buy licenses.

> Also, how can I use g723 with Asterisk?

The only way currently is to buy the transcoder card, as the patent holders
will not license g.723.1 directly to Digium for a reasonable price.

Note that this is only necessary for the next 7 years, as the related patents
expire sometime in 2014.

--
Tilghman