[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 19 07:22:18 CST 2007

Hi Steve,

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 19:43 -0800, Steve Edwards wrote:

> The old syntax was inconsistent -- "show manager command" vs "sip show
> channels" and just plain bad -- for example "sip reload" should have been
> "reload sip.

I agree. Reload sip would be the logical thing.

[snip]

> Approach the command line like a noob. I want Asterisk to show me
> something so I'll start the command line with "show." I'm not quite sure
> what I'm doing, so I'll press <TAB> to see what I can show. Oh, "channel"
> looks like what I want. Hmm, too much. Maybe I should have qualified what
> kind of channel I'm looking for BEFORE the word "channel."

That makes sense to me. It's also what I'm used to from working with
other equipment.

> Here's a suggestion -- stop thinking like a parser and start thinking like
> a person :)
>
> Which makes more sense (at least in English)?
>
>  	1) show black dogs -- show sip channels
>  	2) black show dogs -- sip show channels
>  	3) dogs black show -- channels sip show
>  	4) show dogs black -- show channels sip
>  	5) black dogs show -- sip channels show
>  	6) dogs show black -- channels show sip

Excellent example. I'll put my 0.2 cents on #1 :)

> Is it too late to fix this for 1.6?

I sincerely hope not. Your example shows that the CLI could use some
TLC. Let's hope the powers that be agree.

+1

Regards,
Patrick