[asterisk-users] Cisco 7970 BLF/Presence

Preston Edwards preston.edwards at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 18 14:04:25 CST 2007

I have been trying to get the 7970 (running SIP firmware) to display presence information about other extensions. Thus far, I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have BLF working on the SIP-loaded 7941/7961/7970/7971? I have been using the following as a guide for my work:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+Presence+for+Cisco+79x1+Phones

I have successfully implemented every step (although there are a few minor errors in the code on that page that I have corrected) except for the part where the 7970 has to connect to Asterisk via SIP/TCP. I have chan_sip.c patched with the SIP/TCP patch to allow for connectivity, but I cannot seem to force the 7970 to connect that way.

I have read several posts that indicated that the SIP firmware does not support presence information as of yet, but supposedly, whoever wrote that article above has it working somehow.

Does anyone know how to make the phone connect over TCP? Or, better yet, does anyone have a working method that they would be willing to share? These are great phones but in the environment that we're in they are almost useless if we don't know who's on a call when. I'd rather not go the SCCP route unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks!