[asterisk-users] Music On Hold

Patrick asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 18 08:35:48 CST 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 13:28 +0530, Godson Gera wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007 3:58 AM, itgasterisk <asterisk at ivrtechgroup.com>
> wrote:
>         Hello everyone,
>
>         I am having a bit of problem getting MusicOnhold to play.
>
>         I am running Asterisk 1.4 with MPG123 0.59 installed.
>
>         And here's what i see in the debugging window of asterisk:
>
>            -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on channel
>         'SIP/x123-082043d0'
>            -- Stopped music on hold on SIP/x123-082043d0
>
>         Any idea why it is not playing the file at all?
>

> Hi Eric,
>
> Try to install asterisk-addons which can play mp3 (using
> format_mp3.so) files directly, instead of depending on mpg123. Once
> you install addons don't forget to set mode=files in musiconhold.conf

Even better, don't use mp3 at all. Iirc variable bit rate mp3s could
cause Asterisk to blow up. Don't know if that has been fixed but do you
want to run that risk with a PBX? Just convert your music on hold files
to the native formats you use like ulaw, alaw, gsm, g729 etc. and
configure musiconhold.conf to use those files.

Regards,
Patrick