[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sun Dec 16 07:59:35 CST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 10:51 -0600, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> If anything broke from the transition from 1.2 to 1.4, it is because you were
> using something that was deprecated in 1.2.  What we had attempted to do
> in deprecation modes was to print the warning ONCE for each deprecated
> operation, per Asterisk startup.  I think that this was much too conservative.
> It is very easy to miss that deprecation warning, since it occurs so few
> times.  Of course, the opposite side is that we don't want deprecation
> warnings to fill up your logs, so there's a balancing act here.  But we could
> probably do with making the deprecation warnings a bit more prominent
> and print them multiple times (for example, every 10th usage).  That should
> make it more clear that there's something to change.

How about an asterisk-lint kind of program,
That analyses all of the config files, and gves an error with file-name
& line number of the offendig config
(perhaps with a suggestion of what it MIGHT be...

Would be worthwhile for everybody writing configfiles manually,
Not only for migrating purposes...

Hans