[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Dec 15 19:57:00 CST 2007

Olle E Johansson wrote:
>> All I can say is with 1.6, if a change is made that causes something
>> that worked in 1.4 not to work in 1.6, please think twice, three
>> times or four times before making the change, or making the change
>> in such a way that it won't break dialplan stuff from 1.4.
>>

> Our policy is to never remove any functionality between two versions.
> We replace the functionality with new functionality and print out
> warnings whenever you use the deprecated functions. We also add this
> to the documenation in the software and the UPGRADE.TXT file. So the
> functionality that you lost in 1.4 was old 1.0 functions that was
> marked as deprecated in 1.2 and removed in 1.4.
>
> We might want to be more informative about those changes. We need to
> make a clear list of things you need to start changing as a user of
> 1.4 to prepare for lost functionality in 1.6. This information already
> exist, but should maybe be a bit more public.
>
> In some cases we do have to change in a dramatic way and can't
> preserve the old functionality to solve a bug in the software. This
> requires thorough discussion in the developer group and is something
> we really want to avoid at all costs. If this happens, it's clearly
> documented in the software.
>
> Thank you for your feedback, it's important to us.
>
> /O

Along that this same line, I ran 1.0.something for a long time and it
was working just fine for my SOHO. I had a channel bank to interface
pots lines from the local Telco and feed the analog phones in the house.
Over time, I replaced most of those analog phones with SIP phones.

An unfortunate incident caused us to lose that server and several sip
phones. When I recovered enough to rebuild *, I tried 1.4 and it would
not compile completely and zaptel did not load properly. I download 1.2
and it worked with the same configs as 1.0, but the quality was poor.
That was due to hardware issues.

I purchased a new motherboard and rebuilt using a newer Asterisk 1.4
with the then current libpri and zaptel and the call quality came back.
But I had a hard time with syntax changes. Basically I was jumping from
1.0.x to 1.4.x in one leap.

My biggest gripe is that everything loaded and seemed to work. A day
later we found this did not work and discovered a syntax change. A day
later something else did not work, an other syntax change. Why isn't
there some pre-processor to check the syntax of the config files? Would
have saved me a whole bunch of time I didn't have to spare and still don't.

Lyle
As it is syntax problems or changes are not noticed or logged until
Asterisk tries to execute them. If there is a chunk of code that is only
hit once a week??? It almost came to a point of scraping Asterisk
because of the push back from the family.