[asterisk-users] Upgrade to Asterisk 1.4 - it's one year's old!

Philipp Kempgen philipp.kempgen at amooma.de
Sat Dec 15 11:26:18 CST 2007

Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> If anything broke from the transition from 1.2 to 1.4, it is because you were
> using something that was deprecated in 1.2.  What we had attempted to do
> in deprecation modes was to print the warning ONCE for each deprecated
> operation, per Asterisk startup.  I think that this was much too conservative.
> It is very easy to miss that deprecation warning, since it occurs so few
> times.  Of course, the opposite side is that we don't want deprecation
> warnings to fill up your logs, so there's a balancing act here.  But we could
> probably do with making the deprecation warnings a bit more prominent
> and print them multiple times (for example, every 10th usage).  That should
> make it more clear that there's something to change.

A bit more prominent: yes.
Every 10th usage: no. I wouldn't want gcc/perl/php/... to
complain about deprecated syntax every 10th usage. IMHO that
would be really confusing.
And having to count those usages of deprecated things would
mean additional overhead.

> Of course, all of these deprecations should be covered in UPGRADE.txt

Definitely.

Regards,
  Philipp Kempgen

--
amooma GmbH - Bachstr. 126 - 56566 Neuwied - http://www.amooma.de
    Let's use IT to solve problems and not to create new ones.

Geschäftsführer: Stefan Wintermeyer
Handelsregister: Neuwied B 14998